Paul tells the church in Thessalonica to do three things. I think we should all follow his instructions. Paul teaches them, and us, that:
- We should strive to lead a quiet life.
- We should mind our own business.
- We should work to meet our own needs.
Then Paul shares two reasons for doing these things, the two expected results. When we do as he instructed:
- We earn the respect of others.
- We won’t need to depend on other people for our needs.
This seems so straightforward, elegant in its simplicity. Yet, this is sometimes difficult to remember and hard to do. But through God, we can accomplish exactly what Paul said. And when we do, our actions may become our strongest witness.