Simon Peter and More…
In the last post, we talked about the disciple Simon, who Jesus named Peter. I only know of one person called Peter in the Bible, but there are several guys named Simon in the Bible.
- Simon Peter (the disciple)
- Simon the Zealot (another disciple, which may be why Jesus called the other Simon, Peter)
- Simon the brother of Jesus (his other brothers were James, Joseph, and Judas)
- Simon the leper (the owner of the home where Jesus’ head was anointed with oil)
- Simon from Cyrene (who carried Jesus’ cross)
- Simon the Pharisee (the owner of the home where Jesus feet were washed with perfume)
- Simon Iscariot (father of Judas Iscariot)
- Simon the sorcerer (who asked to buy Holy Spirit power)
- Simon the tanner (who Peter stayed with in Joppa when Cornelius sent for him)
I would have never guessed there were this many guys named Simon in the Bible (in addition to three guys named Simeon).
Read more about other people in the New Testament in The Friends and Foes of Jesus, now available in e-book, paperback, and hardcover.
Peter DeHaan writes about biblical Christianity to confront status quo religion and live a life that matters. He seeks a fresh approach to following Jesus through the lens of Scripture, without the baggage of made-up traditions and meaningless practices. Read more in his books, blog, and weekly email updates.