What Good is a Little Bit of Yeast?
I did a word study on the usage of yeast in the Bible. Here is what I found:
Yeast is used symbolically to represent influence, usually negatively. Just as a little bit of yeast, permeates dough and produces a noticeable result, so to does influence, be it good or bad.Paul uses it as a metaphor for boasting. Click To Tweet
- The Bible contains many references to not using yeast in various religious practices, which symbolically shows the removal of sin.
- Paul compares false teaching to yeast.
- Another negative connotation is when Jesus says, beware of the yeast of the Pharisees (which is hypocrisy) and also the Sadducees and Herod.
- In seemingly the only positive usage of yeast in the Bible, Jesus says that the Kingdom of God (that is, the Kingdom of Heaven) is like yeast.
- In a final reference to yeast Paul uses it as a metaphor for boasting.Paul talks about getting rid of bread with old yeast (malice and wickedness) and using new bread without yeast (sincerity and truth).
[Check out where these references to yeast are found.]
Free Bible Reading Tip Sheet!
Bogged down reading the Bible?
Good news: there's hope! Reading the Bible can be a meaningful experience. Check out 10 Tips to Turn Bible Reading from Drudgery to Delight
Let me know your email address. Then I'll email you my free Bible reading guide and add you to my mailing list. (Unsubscribe at any time.)Get 10 Tips to Turn Bible Reading from Drudgery to Delight today!