What Good is a Little Bit of Yeast?
I did a word study on the usage of yeast in the Bible. Here is what I found:
Yeast is used symbolically to represent influence, usually negatively. Just as a little bit of yeast, permeates dough and produces a noticeable result, so to does influence, be it good or bad.Paul uses it as a metaphor for boasting. Click To Tweet
- The Bible contains many references to not using yeast in various religious practices, which symbolically shows the removal of sin.
- Paul compares false teaching to yeast.
- Another negative connotation is when Jesus says, beware of the yeast of the Pharisees (which is hypocrisy) and also the Sadducees and Herod.
- In seemingly the only positive usage of yeast in the Bible, Jesus says that the Kingdom of God (that is, the Kingdom of Heaven) is like yeast.
- In a final reference to yeast Paul uses it as a metaphor for boasting.Paul talks about getting rid of bread with old yeast (malice and wickedness) and using new bread without yeast (sincerity and truth).
[Check out where these references to yeast are found.]
Join me on the journey!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter about biblical spirituality, and I'll send you a free e-book, How Big Is Your Tent?