Are You a Sluggard? Don’t Be Too Quick to Say “No”
The word sluggard occurs 14 times in Proverbs, but is nowhere to be found in the other 65 books of the Bible. This is curious.
First, what is a sluggard? A sluggard is a slothful person; an idler; a person who is habitually lazy. Consider then, Proverbs’ 14 mentions of a sluggard:
- How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep?
- As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him.
- The sluggard craves and gets nothing, but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied.
- The way of the sluggard is blocked with thorns, but the path of the upright is a highway.
- The sluggard buries his hand in the dish; he will not even bring it back to his mouth!
- A sluggard does not plow in season; so at harvest time he looks but finds nothing.
- The sluggard’s craving will be the death of him, because his hands refuse to work.
- The sluggard says, “There is a lion outside!” or, “I will be murdered in the streets!”
- I went past the field of the sluggard, past the vineyard of the man who lacks judgment;
- The sluggard says, “There is a lion in the road, a fierce lion roaming the streets!”
- As a door turns on its hinges, so a sluggard turns on his bed.
- The sluggard buries his hand in the dish; he is too lazy to bring it back to his mouth.
- The sluggard is wiser in his own eyes than seven men who answer discreetly.
It is clear that Solomon does not think much of sluggards, of lazy, idle, slothful people. According to his proverbs, sluggards do not plan or take initiative; they procrastinate and delude themselves about their own wisdom. Are you a sluggard?
While few would consider themselves a sluggard, the preceding sluggardly characteristics are something that most of us struggle with upon occasion.
What steps do you take to avoid acting like a sluggard?
[Mentions of sluggard in the Bible.]
Free Bible Reading Tip Sheet!
Bogged down reading the Bible?
Good news: there's hope! Reading the Bible can be a meaningful experience. Check out 10 Tips to Turn Bible Reading from Drudgery to Delight
Let me know your email address. Then I'll email you my free Bible reading guide and add you to my mailing list. (Unsubscribe at any time.)Get 10 Tips to Turn Bible Reading from Drudgery to Delight today!