To discover WWJD (what would Jesus do) we need only look at what the Bible says
Jesus goes to the synagogue in his hometown to worship God with his family and friends. It’s his turn to read scripture and the day’s scheduled passage is from Isaiah; it’s a prophecy – about Jesus. After he reads it, Jesus simply confirms that he fulfills this prophecy (Luke 4:16-21.)
In the section Jesus reads, Isaiah prophetically tells the people that the coming savior will move in Holy Spirit power to:
- proclaim good news to the poor
- bind up the brokenhearted
- proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners
- proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God
- comfort all who mourn
- provide for those who grieve in Zion
- bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes
This is essentially Jesus’s job description: to speak truth to those who are seeking, provide help to those in need, and give hope to those who hurt. As his followers we should do the same. Though it will take a lifetime to put these things into practice, this is why God leaves us here on earth and what we should do with our time here. It starts with the Holy Spirit.
If we love Jesus we need to do what he would do, starting today.
How can you put these things into practice? In practical terms, how can you implement one of these actions?