The book of Jude in the Bible is a short letter that is tucked in the back, just before Revelation. Add to this the fact that it is a bit confusing with obscure references. Plus, Jude meanders his way through his message with many distracting examples and illustrations. Given all this, it is little wonder that the writing of Jude is largely ignored.
Removing Jude’s supporting text, his essential message is to watch out for ungodly people in the church. Their profile is that they…
- pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord (v 4).
- pollute their own bodies, reject authority, and heap abuse on celestial beings (v 8).
slander whatever they do not understand, and the very things they do understand by instinct — as irrational animals do — will destroy them (v 10).
- are blemishes at your love feasts, eating with you without the slightest qualm — shepherds who feed only themselves (v 12).
- are grumblers and fault finders; they follow their own evil desires; they boast about themselves and flatter others for their own advantage (v 16).
- are the people who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit (v 19).
Do you know anyone who acts like this? Then watch out. Do you ever act like this? Then take corrective action.