Fasting for the Right Reasons
Although many people ignore its practice, fasting is demonstrated in the Bible and is an encouraged practice. (See the blog entry, “When You Fast…“.)
However, fasting rightly requires fasting for the right reasons. Here are some of them:
- To humble ourselves before God [Ezra 8:21]
- To prepare for spiritual battle [Matthew 4:1-2]
- To ready ourselves to hear God [Acts 13:2-3]
- To seek God’s mercy [Matthew 4:1-2]
- When praying for others [Daniel 9:3]
- When seeking God’s guidance [Ezra 8:21]
- When mourning death or loss [2 Samuel 1:12]
- To repent from sins [Jonah 3:5]
Wrong reasons for fasting includes to earn God’s attention or favor, out of a sense of duty and obligation, or to gain the respect of others.
Free Bible Reading Tip Sheet!
Bogged down reading the Bible?
Good news: there's hope! Reading the Bible can be a meaningful experience. Check out 10 Tips to Turn Bible Reading from Drudgery to Delight
Let me know your email address. Then I'll email you my free Bible reading guide and add you to my mailing list. (Unsubscribe at any time.)Get 10 Tips to Turn Bible Reading from Drudgery to Delight today!