Fasting for the Right Reasons
Although many people ignore its practice, fasting is demonstrated in the Bible and is an encouraged practice. (See the blog entry, “When You Fast…“.)
However, fasting rightly requires fasting for the right reasons. Here are some of them:
- To humble ourselves before God [Ezra 8:21]
- To prepare for spiritual battle [Matthew 4:1-2]
- To ready ourselves to hear God [Acts 13:2-3]
- To seek God’s mercy [Matthew 4:1-2]
- When praying for others [Daniel 9:3]
- When seeking God’s guidance [Ezra 8:21]
- When mourning death or loss [2 Samuel 1:12]
- To repent from sins [Jonah 3:5]
Wrong reasons for fasting includes to earn God’s attention or favor, out of a sense of duty and obligation, or to gain the respect of others.
Join me on the journey!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter about biblical spirituality, and I'll send you a free e-book, How Big Is Your Tent?