An Overview of the Book of Proverbs
The book of Proverbs in the Bible has 31 chapters. I see them organized as follows:
- Chapters 1 to 9: Solomon’s personal instructions to his son (or sons). [Proverbs 1:8]
- Chapters 10 to 24: More wise sayings (proverbs) of Solomon. [Proverbs 10:1]
- Chapter 24:23-34: A brief collection of proverbs from other sources. [Proverbs 24:23]
- Chapter 25-29: An apparent addendum, added by King Hezekiah’s men, but understood to have been from Solomon. [Proverbs 25:1]
- Chapter 30 and 31: Two appendices by other people that fit the book’s overall theme: the sayings of Agur [Proverbs 30:1] and the sayings of King Lemuel [Proverbs 31:1], followed by an epilogue, about the wife of noble character [Proverbs 31:10], which is perhaps the most familiar passage in the entire book.
So there are essentially three segments to Proverbs:
1) Solomon teaching his son
2) More wise teachings from Solomon
3) More wise teaching from other people
In the next few weeks, we will look at the book of Proverbs in greater detail.
Free Bible Reading Tip Sheet!
Bogged down reading the Bible?
Good news: there's hope! Reading the Bible can be a meaningful experience. Check out 10 Tips to Turn Bible Reading from Drudgery to Delight
Let me know your email address. Then I'll email you my free Bible reading guide and add you to my mailing list. (Unsubscribe at any time.)Get 10 Tips to Turn Bible Reading from Drudgery to Delight today!