I am a writer who helps spiritual seekers pursue biblical God and fill their inner yearning for more.
- Jesus loves everyone; he accepts all; he doesn’t judge; he embraces those on the fringes of society. I try to do the same.
- The only people Jesus criticizes are the religious leaders who misconstrue faith and make up rules for people to follow. I strive to avoid their errors.
- Jesus wants us to get along. I do too. Unity is my desire. Christian denominations are the antithesis of unity. Forget labels. I’m about breaking down walls and bridging gaps.
Religious labels don’t matter. Jesus does. That’s why I call myself his follower, a disciple of Jesus.
- I am not Evangelical. I am not Charismatic. I am not Mainline. I am none of the above yet a little bit of each – hopefully the good parts.
- Though I am Protestant in my upbringing, I embrace Catholic and Orthodox. I wish these manmade distinctions didn’t exist. I’m quite sure there are no divisions in Heaven.
- What about other religions? Who am I to judge? I’ll leave that to God, who rightly knows all things.
The Bible is my most cherished book. It is not a rulebook, a formula, or a manual. It is a narrative that points us to God. I read it daily. It informs me, reforms me, and transforms me.
I’m a frequent critic of the institution of church; we’ve messed it up; we’re doing it wrong. Church is about people coexisting in an intentional faith community to worship God and serve him by helping others. We need to reclaim church as a living body of people, not a building, an infrastructure, a denomination, or a theology. The church should be organic: alive, growing, changing, adapting, evolving. Tear down the institution; build a spiritual cooperative.
Peter DeHaan helps spiritual seekers pursue biblical God and fill their inner yearning for more. Click To TweetMy heart is to walk with people who have been pushed out of the status quo Christian society, those who
- the “church” rejected,
- got beat up by religion, or
- were hurt beyond comprehension.
And I love to hang out with those who aren’t afraid to ask impertinent questions and are willing to grapple with imprecise answers.
My journey is with other spiritual seekers moving towards the God who is revealed in the Bible. Do you want to travel with us?
Get Instant Access!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter about biblical spirituality, and I'll send you a free e-book, How Big Is Your Tent?