There are several words that appear with disproportionate frequency in the book of Proverbs—and with minimal representation in the rest of the Bible. They are:
- Sluggard occurs 14 times in Proverbs and nowhere else in the Bible.
- Prudent occurs 10 times in Proverbs and only twice elsewhere.
- Simple is found 14 times in Proverbs and only six other times in the entire Bible.
- Folly occurs 23 times in Proverbs and 16 times in the rest of the Bible.
- Quarrelsome occurs 6 times in Proverbs and only one other time in the rest of the Bible.
- Adulteress is mentioned 7 times in Proverbs and only 5 times elsewhere in the Bible.
Plus, there are some additional words that appear with surprising regularity in Proverbs:
In upcoming posts, we will look at each of these words.
[The 1984 NIV version of the Bible was used in determining the number of occurrences.]
Peter DeHaan writes about biblical Christianity to confront status quo religion and live a life that matters. He seeks a fresh approach to following Jesus through the lens of Scripture, without the baggage of made-up traditions and meaningless practices.